Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A twitch and a self find

Bored with memorising the reactions of methylbenzene, but determined to stick at it anyway, I was torn apart inside when I recieved the phone call from Connor about a Citrine Wagtail at Titchwell! Luckily mum managed to persuade me that I needed a break, so I gunned it down to the coast, bagging myself a Connor on the way. I felt bad about going without Simeon (who was in Sussex), but I reminded myself that he has Red-breasted Goose and Great Reed Warbler on his list, both birds I dipped sorely!

However, when we arrived it seemed as though I may not have to overcome my birding morals anyway, as it had been seen once since discovery. Little Gulls were everywhere, with a Garganey, Red-crested Pochard and Temminck's Stints, but no sign of the Wagtail. Things got even more frustrating as we learnt of the Red-throated Pipit at Blakeney! Suddenly Connor went beserk - the Citrine Wagtail had flown in right onto a patch of mud in front of us, what a stroke of luck! It stayed for a minute or so and we even managed to get a few photos!

Next we set off at a brisk pace for Blakeney, but realised that was an incredibly dumb idea (luckily before we reached the road) and decided to stop off at Holme on the way back. At first glance this may appear to be equally dumb, and birdwise it seemed that it was so. However, it was immediately made worthwhile when I found three baby foxes in the forestry! A Cuckoo, Turtle Doves and a Barn Owl were lovely, but no sign of the Icterine Warblers that were obviously staring at us concealed in the thickest of bushes. However, just as we were approaching the car park, our instincts were proved correct. Something flew up from the grass onto a low bush - not an Icterine Warbler, but a female Red-backed Shrike! What a cracking end to the day!

James

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home